09/01/2012

Grunge For Spring

If you're a regular reader of my blog it will come as no surprise to you that I am OBSESSED with this editorial, which features Ali Stephens and was shot by Bruno Staub for Elle US. Well firstly, the shoot has an amazing 80's/90's grunge vibe and to make it even more perfect it is titled 'Teen Spirit' which just happens to be the name of one of my favourite Nirvana songs. I literally feel as if this shoot was made for me and I can see myself wearing so many of the pieces featured. I will definitely be using it for inspiration for my Spring wardrobe. Now if only I could pull off tutus over jeans...







To get this look focus on layering. If you're bold enough to try the skirt over trousers look then go for it, but if you're a bit less out there (like me) then focus on layering scruffy army jackets and plaid shirts over vintage sports t-shirts and floral maxi skirts. Try pairing a grungy petticoat with hightops and a baseball jacket. These looks is all about putting together the unexpected - contrasting pretty and harsh, soft and scruffy. The tulle of the petticoats will be contrasted perfectly with the sporty material of the jacket and the girly print of a floral skirt will be balanced out by the rough khaki of a military parka. By contrasting and layering you can keep the look exciting and stop it from being too pretty or too edgy. 

13 comments:

  1. amazing editorial! the layering is amazing. feeling inspired! haha. i love your blog, too :) following!

    www.lifeasadaydreamer.blogspot.com

    -Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post i love this trend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice and inspirative!
    http://cookieswardrobe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely loving this editorial - gorg! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love! I wish I could pull off more grundge looks!

    xo Jennifer

    http://seekingstyleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The grunge look Is definitely part of my personal style. I love layering flannels with my fur coat, flannel with my leather moto jacket, some floral or bold maxis with thick tights. I cannot get enough! I'd try the maxi or an over the top longishi tutu over some skinnies or even some plaid leggings. Always paired with chuck tays, chucky boots, and even dirty ass white tops. With tube socks and as many accessories as one wants and studded belts thrown in there.

    Love your blog :)
    xx Jacqueline

    fngm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i like this editorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah great editorial! Different edgy style :) Loving it - and great blog :-)

    X C - www.runwaybird.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. great photos! i have a bunch of those saved on my desktop:)

    http://whatthekittydraggedin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These pictures are fabulous, a great inspiration!!:D I like!!:D

    Stop by some time:D

    xxx

    Mia's Little Corner

    ReplyDelete
  11. WE LOVED THIS EDITORIAL TOO.. such 90s children. We love your blog!

    XX
    J, E and D
    www.thecounterculturenyc.blogspot.com
    www.cccvtg.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. so obsessed! LOVE this ed!
    ps. you should totally check out my giveaway babe. think Erin Wasson - it's way major!! X

    ReplyDelete